HISTORIC  ETOWAH HIGH SCHOOL
 Established 1928  -  1960

Grades 1 - 11
12th Grade added in 1945
Picture

Etowah School, 1928 - 2002, designed by architect Erle Stillwell. Present day Etowah Elementary preserves one of the arch entries.

Picture

A page from the book: Erle Stillwell - Buildings as History, pub. 2006

Excerpt from the 1939 "Chief" school annual

" In 1928, a great forward step was taken in the educational system of Etowah, when the Horse Shoe, Rhymer, Pleasant Grove, Big Willow and Boylston schools were consolidated with Etowah, and the present modern building was erected.  Mr. Ralph W. Jones has served efficiently as principal since opening of the high school.

   In 1928-1929, while the new building was under construction, the high school classes were taught in the Baptist Church.  Mr. and Mrs. Jones were the teachers and there were only six graduates of the first class.  The children of the grammar grades remained at the various elementary schools of the district until the opening of the 1929-1930 session."
Picture
Henderson County Schools operating in 1928 - 1929  school year
as shown on  the  reverse side of a student's report card.

Etowah's  enrollment  is listed as 283 students with
an average attendance of 212.  Promotions, 217.
Picture
  • 1928     Etowah School opened, constructed of brick from Moland-Drysdale Corporation, aka "the Etowah Brickyard"
  • 1929     Six graduates in first class:  Carl Cantrell, Coy Greer, Mattie Hamilton, Willie B. Laughter, Ada Orr, and Miriam Weese
  • 1940     Vocational Building built
  • 1944     Last class to graduate 11th grade seniors
  • 1945     12th graded added
  • 1959     Cafeteria built
  • 1960     Last class to graduate as high school
  • 1960     High School students moved to West Henderson High
  • 1973     Junior High students moved to Rugby Junior High School (now Rugby Middle)
  • 2002     Original 1928 school demolished, new elementary school built behind original school
Construction of Etowah School, 1927 Notes
from Minutes of Henderson County Board of Education
  • Aug 8, 1927     The Commissioners agreed to furnish funds for the following projects:  Etowah  $50,000; Dana $50,000; Bat Cave  $15,000; Brickton Colored   $2,500.
  • Oct 3, 1927     Mr. [Earl] Stillwell presented the plans for the Etowah school building to the Board for their approval.  The Board approved the plans and directed Mr. Stillwell to advertise for bids on same.
  • Nov 14, 1927     The object of the meeting was to receive bids for the erection of a new consolidated school building at Etowah.  The following bidgs were received and accepted:
             General contract  -  Jones & Justus, $57,770
             Plumbing Contract - J. L. Powers, $4,545
             Heating Contract - J. L. Powers, $6, 793
             Wiring Contract - Hendersonville Electric Co., $1,345
             Total:  $70,453
  • Dec 5, 1927     The Board received bids for the installation of a water system for the Etowah school.
  • Mar 5, 1928     In the matter of an electric line for the Etowah school building, the Board agreed to accept the proposition of Mr. Picklesiemer of the Brevard Power Co. to build a line to the building and furnish a transformer for the amount of $500.
Picture

Photo from 1947 Etowah School annual, "The Chief." The smaller building on the far right is the Cannery, operated by the Etowah Grange. Behind the main building is the Vocation School. In the surrounding farm fields are corn shocks from the harvest.

Picture
Picture
Picture

Photo courtesy of Henderson County Education History Initiative

Picture

Photo courtesy of Henderson County Education History Initiative

Picture

Photo courtesy of Henderson County Education History Initiative

Picture
"The Etowah School with four hundred seventy three (473) students and seventeen (17) teachers has never had a lunch room."

I
n 1957, Lions Club President Robert E. Greer wrote a letter to the Times-News explaining the need for a lunch room for Etowah School.
Greer describes the Cannery, which served as the school's lunch room for ten years, 1947 - 1958.  "Although the building was well designed and constructed for a cannery, it is not satisfactory for a school lunch room.  There is no ceiling overhead; the floor is made of concrete with open drains which must be covered with planks. ... Repeated attempts at poisoning have failed to keep the rats out. ... An attempt has been made to heat the building with two coal heaters; but in cold weather students near the stoves get too hot while others get too cold."

1959 Chief:  "For several years we have needed a new cafeteria at Etowah.  Finally, funds were made available for the building and construction was started in the spring of 1958.  After watching and waiting, somewhat impatiently, we were served our first hot lunch on November 4, 1958."

More about the Etowah Lions Club

Picture

A photograph from the 1947 Chief - students having lunch in the Etowah Grange Cannery near the main school building. Pictured above, students having lunch at the Etowah Grange Cannery. L to R: Ellen Jean Fletcher, Bruce Hollingsworth, Euva Sentelle, Nell Allison, ? , Lena Bates, Sally Cantrell ?, Elizabeth Gossett, Marvin Orr, ? , Inez Johnson, ( ? ). Corrections, please contact the website.

Picture
Picture

Brick sign constructed by Harold Allison; Chief emblem painted by Gene Corn. This structure did not survive the 2002 demolition.

The new Etowah Elementary School - established 2002
The historic 1928 school was replaced with a new school that closely followed the original design.  The following photos show the 1928 school (in front) just before demolition which took place the week of June 3, 2002.  Behind the 1928 school is the new school we see today.

Care was taken to relocate one of the two arched concrete entrances to the new Etowah Elementary School. The other arched entrance was damaged in the tear down.

Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture