HISTORIC ETOWAH TRAIN DEPOT
When was the Train Station taken down? Sometime between 1965 and 1969, is the best information at present.
The Post Office moved out of the station in 1962, according to Lenoir Ray's "Postmarks." An aerial photo shows the station in 1965 (to be documented).
Residents who moved to Etowah in 1969 report
that the station was not there when they arrived.
Would you like to share a story or information about the Etowah Train Station? Please contact the website.
Read the story of "How Etowah Got Its Name"
The Etowah Train Station, aka "the Depot," circa 1920s
The station was originally established in 1895 by the Hendersonville & Brevard Telephone & Telegraph Co. In the picture above, this may be the original building, or perhaps one re-built by Southern Railroad Co. after the railroad company changed hands. The station also housed the Etowah Post Office from 1924 to 1962.
Location: The SW corner of Old Highway 64 & Etowah School Road, in front of Chrisman's Garage.
Approximate size: 33' wide x 46' long
An estimate of the building footprint was calculated by Ben Bartlett, member of Apple Valley Model Railroad Club. Generally, Southern Railway Co. built their Stations in the same manner. Bartlett based his calculations on measurements of the window, door and freight door at the restored Hendersonville Station, home of the Apple Valley Model Railroad Club.
Paint colors: In the picture above, the Station walls are painted in two colors. The colors are most likely the same as what we see today on the Hendersonville Station, also built by Southern Railway Co. Dark green on the bottom; mustard yellow on top.
Who are the other people in the photograph? Pearl Gillie Gash, station agent (1916 to 1948) and postmaster (1914 to 1948) is standing in the doorway.